Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Yerba Buena Tasting September 28th


Our dear Kaitlin is friends with the managers of Yerba Buena and kindly set-up a tasting for Emily W, Deepa, Mike, Deshon, Ajay, Pooneet, Emily G, Alice and I on September 28th.

Unfortunately, I do not have a clear memory of all the glorious dishes we sampled that evening, but the two that still haunt my memory are the braised short ribs and the signature Yerba cocktail, The Poquito Picante.
After ordering our cocktails, we had a very nice guacamole and excellent blue corn meal crusted calamari to start off with.

Soon there after our drinks arrived. The Poquito Picante was a spicy cocktail made with tanqueray gin + jalapeƱo + cilantro + cucumber + cointreau liqueur + fresh lemon juice, with a lovely red chili floating in the glass (adding heat as it stewed in the liquor!)

The overwhelming parade of dishes that followed were all good, there were chicken, beef, pork and oxtail dishes. I don't recall the least favorite of the group that night, but I do remember the reigning favorite: The Braised Short Ribs. Costilla is yerba mate braised beef short ribs + papas a la provenzal pomegranate glazed. The melt-in-your-mouth meet disappeared from the table with an alarming swiftness.

As I mentioned, I don't clearly remember all the dishes we sampled, but I do remember that we all left with the feeling that though a bit pricey, the overall meal was a fantastic one. If anyone has more specific commentary or memories from our Latin Feast, please post them! As for my impaired memory, I'll just blame it on the Poquito Picante!


No comments:

Post a Comment