Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chilean Wine @ Louis 649 January 19th


Hi EWI,

Last night's tasting was really fun! Andrew and I met some really great fellow foodies there and the wines were all pretty good and really affordable retail. Here is a breakdown, if you are interested:

Santa Rita Reserva Sauvignon Blanc, 2008
Casablanca Valley, Chile

-This wine was incredibly light and crisp. It did not have any of the "funky" notes that I have found in French Sauvignon Blancs.

1865 Single Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc, 2007
Leyda Valley, Chile

-This SB had a bit more depth, still crisp, but with more interesting, earthy notes.

J. Bouchon, Las Mercedes Carmenere Reserva Especial, 2007
Maule Valley, Chile

-The J. Bouchon was a very light red. It is made from 100% Carmenere grapes, which to me tasted like a young Tempernillo.

Concha y Toro Casillero del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon, 2008
Central Valley, Chile

- I loved this one! I swear to God it smelled and tasted like bacon! Perhapse that does not sound like the most palatable thing to drink, but somehow it worked. I would love to try this one again with food or use it in braising.

Maquis Lien, 2006
Collchagua Valley, Chile

-Egh. This was a very anticlimactic wine to end on last night. It just tasted like a bland table red. But that's just my opinion! I honestly cannot remember anything more about it than its lack of memorability.

All of these wines are sold at Puro Wine on Grand Street for under $20 a bottle.

Hope you are all having a great week!

Felicia

No comments:

Post a Comment