Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Back 40 Brunch Jan 2nd





Hi EWI!

I hope your 2010 is starting off on the right foot! I am quite pleased to announce that I have broken my "Brunch flake-out curse", and only two days into the new year!

We had a great time and made our way through a good portion of the menu! We started-off with Homemade Doughnuts and Pork Jowl Nuggets with a jalapeno jelly. They were amazing! The Jowl Nuggets were the star (but you all know my pork bias). They were lightly fried with a crisp outer crust and a melt-in-your-mouth center. Mmmmm!

We then had: Chicken and Waffles, Blintzes with Farmers Cheese and Cinnamon Apples, Poached Eggs with Baby Green Wheat, Homemade German Sausage and Mustard Greens over Grits, Sweet Potato Pancakes, and the Burger. The Chicken was great; moist with perfectly crisp skin (Though Eboni threw down the gauntlet and said she makes better. It is now my
mission to coax her into making Fried Chicken for us!). The Blintzes were flavorful and light, the Burger was good, though I have had better. The Sweet Potato Pancakes did not have much sweet potato flavor which was a bit disappointing (I adore Sweet Potatoes!). The Sausages were really good, they had almost a corned beef flavor. The surprise hit of the morning was the Baby Green Wheat. I have never had it before, it was similar to Quinoa: grainy, yet tender, with amazing earthy flavor. A few of us had cocktails as well (myself included in these numbers, of course). I started with a Mimosa which was pretty weak and then moved to the Spiked Cider which was super strong! They definitely used a strong hand with the Whiskey! The Bloody Mary's were decent as well.

The venue was beautiful, very open and light, not the usual cramped restaurant you would expect in the East Village. Melissa and Kaitlin took pictures of the food and should be sending those out shortly.



No comments:

Post a Comment