Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bo Ssam January 24th


Well, the EWI ladies did it again! We held our own in the Bo Ssam throw-down. Our roster included: Zoe, her guest (a self-proclaimed "recovering vegetarian" who now is a complete carnivore!), Elaine, her friend Wendy, Melissa Z, Melissa's Guest (the only lucky man), Laura, Kaitlin, New Emily and myself.

We started our feast with pork buns and a pickle plate, very ambitious considering the side of pork coming our way. Then came the main event. The pork shoulder came out sizzling! The glistening fat was perfectly caramelized with a distinctive hint of sweetness. It was accompanied by kimchi, kimchi paste, scallion sauce, sea salt, fresh bib lettuce and oysters. Our waiter explained that traditionally kimchi is made with oyster, but because theirs wasn't, they provided the oysters to top the pork lettuce wraps.

I added an oyster to my first wrap, eh! Oysters simply taste like the ocean to me, so I did not feel that the "taste of the sea" added much to the pork, but that is just my opinion!

We ate, and ate, and ate! Some of the ladies even chewed on the bone for the marrow. We sadly did not finish the beast, but we came pretty close! I think it is safe to say that we all left on the verge of a pork coma. It was fantastic though. Of the big pork dinners I have experienced thus far in New York, this one certainly was the best.

Leave it to David Chang! The man rarely disappoints me!

I have posted pictures of all the glorious gluttony at the link below:

http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo25/kcampbell84/EWI%20Bo%20Ssam/

No comments:

Post a Comment