Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sripraphai Thai Tasting August 25th, 2009


Sripraphai was not as close as I thought it would be, so I ended-up 20 minutes late walking through some very unfamiliar territory! As I approached the restaurant, I knew it must be good. There was actually a crowd out front waiting to get inside. Mike, Alice Lam, Christine, Emily W, Pooneet, Erin, Alaina and Christine's friend had arrived and begun order deliberations.

I am quite unfamiliar with Thai, so I left it up to them to pick-out a feast for us. The service was just perfect, and probably by accident! The dishes came out one-by-one, allowing us to sample tapas style. I took pictures and passed the dishes. We had a great time overall, and time flew by us as usual.

We had dishes ranging from a whole steamed fish to Pad Thai, but the majority of this dishes were seafood. The beef curry was quite good, but the most amazing thing I ate all night was a tiny bite of squid in the fried watercress salad. That squid had the perfect texture, easily pulling apart with a fork, and the brightness of the flavor shocked me. It had a light, crisp, sweet flavor that was bigger than the bite itself, it felt exactly like a summer meal should. This may sound over-the-top, but in a meal filled with bold, spicy, heavy dishes, it was a breath of fresh air.

The worst dish of the night was a fish dish I mistook for eggplant. I only realized my error when I scooped it onto my plate and a bone popped out, there was quite a bit of that dish left over! It did not taste much better than it looked, but I suppose I have never been much of a catfish person. That aside, it was a truly satisfying meal.

We came, we ate, we conquered! Sampling all that the restaurant had to offer, eating and sharing and comparing notes, it was the perfect format for all our restaurant tasting events to come.

Pictures of all the fabulous dishes are posted at:

No comments:

Post a Comment